We are seeking a talented Bioinformatics Engineer to tackle challenging bioinformatics and computational biology problems and work collaboratively with research groups to build and maintain the tools, algorithms, and pipelines required to support the development of new, transformative CRISPR/Cas9-based gene editing therapies.
- Balance evaluation, integration, and extension of existing bioinformatics and next generation sequencing (NGS) tools with the creation of new tools and algorithms as needed for varying project contexts
- Run analysis pipelines on data generated from novel CRISPR/Cas9 assays, and work closely with preclinical teams to deliver insights and recommendations to decision makers
- Extend pipelines by adding functions that leverage novel molecular biology, including molecular barcodes and new sequencing chemistry
- Translate computational tools into web interfaces for a broad user base and organize results into stable databases for downstream meta-analysis
- Creatively troubleshoot issues, implement test cases, and fix bugs
- Give accurate time estimates based on verbal and written specifications
- Convert research prototype scripts into robust scientific software optimized for performance, scalability, and adherence to coding best practices
- Degree (B.S. with 2+ years of research experience or graduate degree) in quantitative or basic science (computational biology, bioinformatics, computer science, molecular biology, chemistry, physics, or mathematics preferred)
- Ability to implement, debug, and maintain computational tools in common programming languages (Python, R)
- Experience in processing NGS data through bioinformatics pipelines and usage of common bioinformatics tools (e.g. BWA, BEDtools, GATK, IGV)
- Proficiency with handling large-scale genomic data in a Linux and/or cloud environment (e.g. AWS)
- Experience with version control software (e.g. Git)
- Ability to work independently and successfully in a matrix environment, prioritize and manage multiple tasks simultaneously, integrate cross-functional issues, and balance competing priorities effectively
- Good communication skills including research report and paper writing, code documentation, and oral presentation
- Strong knowledge of Unix/Linux Operating Systems, user and systems administration
- Experience with DevOps tools (e.g. Docker, Jenkins, Puppet)
- Experience writing automated functional and unit test scripts
- Technical familiarity with database (e.g. MySQL, Oracle) design and query construction
- Background in team-based coding, repository and branch management
- Familiarity with molecular biology techniques, gene editing, and/or CRISPR/Cas9 biology
- A high degree of energy, accuracy and attention to detail, and a passion for creating transformative gene-based medicines for patients with serious diseases
- Collaborative – Openness. One Team.
- Undaunted – Fearless, Can-do attitude.
- Results Orientation – Delivering progress toward our mission. Sense of urgency in solving problems.
- Entrepreneurial Spirit – Proactive. Ownership mindset.
Crispr Therapeutics, Inc. is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person's race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation or any characteristic protected under applicable law.