CRISPR Therapeutics is seeking a Patent Counsel who would be based in Cambridge but would play a key role in IP development and related matters globally, reporting to and working closely with the Head of IP. The Patent Counsel would also be closely involved with the R&D team in Cambridge, collaborators elsewhere in the U.S. and in Europe, as well as outside counsel.
- Help lead the development of a worldwide IP portfolio covering new IP directed at therapeutic applications of CRISPR-Cas9
- Identify patentable inventions through regular interactions with internal R&D project teams and academic and other collaborators, create appropriate patent protection strategies, and execute on those strategies
- Work with the Head of IP to develop strategic direction for IP globally and advise outside counsel on patent filing and prosecution matters, as well as third-party IP
- Perform FTO/patentability searches, analyses, and opinion work in support of R&D and Business Development project teams
- Review all IP issues related to publications, abstracts, or other public presentations by CRISPR employees
- Support contentious efforts in US and foreign patent offices and court systems
- Educate and advise colleagues on intellectual property issues
- Significant prior legal experience in the pharmaceutical and/or biotechnology fields is a must; preparation and prosecution experience with DNA/RNA-based therapeutics is highly preferred
- 4-8 years of experience in providing patentability and FTO opinions and prosecuting and preparing technically relevant patent applications at a highly regarded law firm and/or corporate law department; ideal candidates will have practiced patent law at a law firm and furthered that practice with in-house experience
- Appreciates the legal, scientific and business aspects of intellectual property and has a proven track record of interacting with both scientific and business leaders within an organization
- Capable of recognizing, assessing, and responding to urgent matters with timely, practical, and clear solutions
- An innovative thinker able to manage and prioritize multiple matters simultaneously and independently
- A collaborative team player with exceptional interpersonal skills, an excellent work ethic, and sound judgment
- Ability to communicate complicated IP issues to scientists, management and business leaders within the company while successfully managing outside counsel
- Advanced degree in the life sciences, PhD preferred
- Admitted to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- J.D. from an accredited law school and member of at least one U.S. state bar (Massachusetts preferred)
- Collaborative – Openness, One Team
- Undaunted – Fearless, Can-do attitude
- Results Orientation – Delivering progress toward our mission. Sense of urgency in solving problems.
- Entrepreneurial Spirit – Proactive. Ownership mindset.
Crispr Therapeutics, Inc. is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person's race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation or any characteristic protected under applicable law.